Birthday cake cookies are the perfect way to celebrate a special occasion. Not only are these cookies delicious, but the time and effort that go into making them shows how much you care. However, if you don't have the time to bake, consider opting for a cookie delivery service.
For those who enjoy indulging in cookies regularly, a cookie subscription might be a delightful option. This way, you can have a variety of flavors delivered to your doorstep regularly.
Whichever option you choose, cookies always make for a sweet gesture. Let’s dive into making the perfect birthday cake cookie!
Preparing for Baking
When preparing to make this birthday cake cookie recipe (or any other recipe like it), there are a few things you can do to help improve the result. Let’s take a closer look at some of the top tips for how to make birthday cake cookies.
Ensure That The Ingredients Are At Room Temperature
One of the main problems people encounter when making a birthday cake cookie recipe is that the ingredients don’t blend as well as they should. Often, this is because the butter or margarine they used was cold. Cold butter or margarine never blends as well, and this can prevent your dough from forming a cohesive mixture.
It’s best to remove these items (and any other refrigerated oils) from the fridge for at least a couple of hours before baking. Many bakers prefer taking them out the night before so they can reach room temperature.
ALWAYS Cream the Butter and Sugar Before Mixing
As with cake and other cookie recipes, when making a birthday cake cookie recipe, you should always try to cream the butter and sugar together before attempting any additional mixing. The reason for this is manifold, but the two main reasons are as follows:
- It ensures that the margarine (or butter) and sugar are thoroughly distributed throughout the recipe. This is essential since the butter helps keep the mixture moist, and the sugar sweetens it.
- It provides a base into which all the other ingredients can be introduced, ensuring that all ingredients reach an equal distribution.
Preheat Your Oven
Another thing many new bakers (and sometimes even experienced bakers) need to remember is to preheat their oven. While, in some cases, this doesn’t pose a significant problem, other recipes require it.
For one thing, when you bake cookies with a margarine or butter base, they immediately start baking when you place them in the preheated oven. If the cookies warm up with the oven, they won’t bake cohesively. Instead, the butter and margarine may start melting before the other ingredients start baking.
Turn the Baking Tray During the Baking Process
The final tip to making delicious make birthday cake cookies is this: do not leave your baking tray in the same position for the entire baking period. Doing so can have catastrophic results since most ovens have hotspots.
This means that certain parts of the oven are naturally hotter than others. If you leave your baking tray in one position for the entire baking period, some cookies will likely burn, while others may still be raw.
About halfway through the baking period, rotate the baking tray as this will allow the heat to be evenly distributed to each cookie, and they will bake equally.
The Perfect Birthday Cake Cookies Recipe
Let’s take a closer look at how to make birthday cake cookies.
- 1 cup unsalted butter or baking margarine
- ¾ cups brown sugar
- ¾ cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ½ cups self-raising flour or
- Combine all-purpose flour with ¾ teaspoon baking soda, or 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- ⅓ cup rainbow sprinkles or rainbow vermicelli
- 4 ounces brown chocolate chips
- 4 ounces white chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Making the Cookie Dough
When it comes to making cookie dough, you need more than just a birthday cake cookie recipe. Here’s the basic process for how to make birthday cake cookies (the dough portion):
- Using a whisk, hand mixer, or stand mixer, cream the room-temperature butter and sugar to form a consistent blend.
- Add the vanilla extract and eggs, stirring to incorporate them into the mixture. Then, set them aside.
- Mix together the salt and flour in a separate bowl.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, adding the dry ingredients to your initial mixture a little at a time. At this point, you should have a basic dough.
- Roughly chop the chocolate chips, then blend them into the cookie dough along with the sprinkles.
Shaping and Chilling the Dough
Once you’ve mixed the cookie dough, this birthday cake cookie recipe requires a few extra steps before baking. Namely, they are as follows:
- Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap or saran wrap. Alternatively, wrap the dough in wax paper.
- Refrigerate the cookie dough for at least one hour and up toas long as 24 hours. This allows the flavors to meld and the dough to solidify.
Pro tip: You can refrigerate the dough for up to three days or freeze it for up to three months before baking.
Baking the Cookies
One of the essential aspects of knowing how to make birthday cake cookies is to bake them properly. Here’s how:
- Preheat your oven to 350℉.
- Line a baking tray with baking or parchment paper.
- Shape the cookies by hand, or use a small ice cream scoop to place 1 to 1.5-inch dough balls on the tray, placing them about two inches apart.
- Place them in the oven, and bake them for around 5-6 minutes.
- Flip the baking tray around so the cookies that were at the back are at the front.
- Bake for another 5-6 minutes or until the cookie is lightly browned.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack or other cooling rack for five minutes.
- Enjoy those delicious birthday cake cookies!
Now that you know how to make birthday cake cookies, we’re sure that you’re ready to start making these tasty treats. It’s worth noting that these cookies are exceptionally versatile and can be personalized to your heart’s content.
If you want all of the joy and advantages of these cookies but you’d rather pay someone who knows how to make birthday cake cookies, reach out to us at The Cravory. As a gourmet cookie delivery company, we’re well-equipped to help make your birthday cake cookie dreams come true.